Hello AX World,
Our community is growing and we all have questions to ask. Dynamics Community Forum is a great place to ask a question or two. I have been reading this forum for quite some time and I have noticed a trend of questions getting low in quality. So here, I am giving some tips how to become better at asking a question.
1. Have you done your work? Make sure you have tried everything you know yourself. It´s so unprofessional when someone is lazy ant tries to find quick answer without himself putting the work in it. e.g. debugging your code. You won´t become a professional this way.
2. Be clear. Try to describe your problem as clear as possible. Do not get into unnecessary details, but also give as much context as possible to understand the problem.
3. Get to the point. Make sure you asked a question. I have seen some examples with no question at all.
4. Do not overload the question. Pasting a log into a question is probably not a good idea. Imagine yourself scrolling down all this log just to see if someone answered. If you have a large chunk of the log, just upload it somewhere else and link it in the question.
5. Keep the code nice and sound. If the question includes a code sample, try to make it nice and clear so we don't have to hurt our eyes reading it. Best practices are made on purpose.
6. Your English is good. Do not mind if your English is imperfect. It´s a first or second foreign language for most of us. If we don’t get your questions we will tell you. There are native English speakers who don’t know a second language. You know it and you rock!
7. Stick to original question. Try not to deviate from your original question. If you have another question, it is better to create one more post.
8. Nobody will do a dirty job for you. Do not expect we are going to do a dirty job for you. We´re not going to debug for you. We are not going to have a call to solve the problem for you. If you need that kind of help, you have to contact professional services and probably pay for it.
9. Follow up. Don’t just leave your question. If someone asked for more details try to answer and give those details. I’ve seen too many questions left alone in the dark.
10. Share your resolution. If you’ve managed to solve your issue by yourself, why don't you just share it with others and close the question.
11. Verify the answer. Show others that the question have been solved and verify the right answer. This way community will know that this question is solved. Everybody wants to get little reward for solving others´ questions.
12. We are all equal. Don´t call others titles like sir. or whatever fancy title, even if you are used to it in your country. It’s the Internet; we are all equal, just some have less experience some have more.
13. Update your profile. So everybody can call you by the name and not by the nick name. It is so weird when someone answers 'Hi Bot' or whatever crazy nickname someone have.
14. Be nice and do not get personal. It´s not a place for that. We all are humans and sometimes we can get emotional but try to be professional.
I hope these tips will help to improve the quality of questions asked in Dynamics Community Forum.
If you liked this or any other post of mine don´t forget to subscribe to my blog posts, follow me on twitter @evaldasland or add me on LinkedIn.
Be aware and take care!